Job TitlePOLICE OFFICER (STAFF FULL-TIME)
Under general supervision, performs all duties of a Police Officer, including enforcing applicable laws, ordinances, policies and procedures. Patrols the campus by foot, bicycle, or motor vehicle.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process. Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants may be subject to a background check.
Nashville State offers flexible work arrangements for positions that qualify.
To Apply Go to:
Police Officer - Nashville, Tennessee, United States (tbr.edu)
• High School Diploma or educational equivalent.
• Two years of work experience in law enforcement
• Possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license. Out of state applicants must obtain a Tennessee driver’s license within thirty (30) days of hire.
• Current certification by the Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Commission, per TCA 38-8-107, or the ability to become P.O.S.T. certified within six (6) months of hire.
• Must pass a medical examination/drug screening and a psychological evaluation.
• Must pass a thorough background investigation, including a favorable criminal background report and motor vehicle record. Must never have been convicted of or pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft or controlled substances.
• Must have received an honorable discharge if served in the U.S. armed forces.
• Have his/her fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
• Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
• Current P.O.S.T. certification.
• Crisis management or emergency management training and experience.
• Experience policing in a higher education setting.
• Knowledge of the Clery Act.
• Ability to speak a second language, particularly Spanish or Arabic
Protects life and property of the general public within the jurisdiction of the Nashville State Community College Police Department. Responds and takes the lead in atypical situations and emergencies, until relieved by higher authority. Assists with training activities and in-service presentations for other Police Officers, Security Officers, and the campus population. Observes and reports suspected crimes, accidents or activities of a questionable/suspicious nature. Discourages unlawful activities. Works with the Chief of Police to plan, organize and implement security for campus functions, special events, crisis management and disaster planning.
Reports incidents involving persons or property, reporting likely cause of accidents, pursuing appropriate course of action and informing proper authorities as required. Cooperates with other law enforcement officials and jurisdictions and testifies in court or legal proceedings as required. Operates and maintains safety and security department equipment. Keeps records and makes reports. Makes recommendations to the Chief of Police on the development and implementation of comprehensive security programs, policies and procedures. Serves as liaison with contract security company and officers. Provide guidance in coordination with Chief of Police for the contract security officers. Responds to requests for assistance, such as jump starting cars, unlocking doors, giving directions, etc., from students, faculty and staff. Maintains all training to ensure P.O.S.T certification is current.
Ability to operate two-way radios, firearms, handcuffs, cell phones and other law enforcement equipment. Thorough knowledge of criminal justice, law enforcement, and higher education protocols/procedures. Thorough knowledge of Uniform Crime Reporting definitions. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, organizational, written and communication skills. Ability to work with local community and leadership. Understanding of and appreciation for current student issues. Ability to handle crisis situations and act/lead under stressful conditions. Ability to relate to and interact effectively with diverse populations. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.