A description of our campus’ facilities will be posted soon.
TCAT Nashville, formerly known as the Tennessee Technology Center at Nashville and the Nashville State Area Vocational-Technical School, has had a long, rich tradition in serving the residents of the Middle Tennessee area since its origin at Hume-Fogg Vocational-Technical School in the fall of 1940. Under the Smith-Hughes Act, Hume-Fogg was designated a Vocational-Technical School.
These facilities were utilized twenty-four hours a day. The major purpose of Vocational-Technical Education from 1940-45 was the training of workers for aircraft defense plants, shipyards, and other industrial plants manufacturing ammunition for World War II. In 1945, at the end of World War II, the need was for training or re-training of the returning veterans and workers in a greatly expanding economy. Approximately 21,000 workers and 4,000 veterans received training in various fields at Hume-Fogg Vocational-Technical School.
With the passage of the Federal Vocational Education Act of 1963, the state of Tennessee enacted companion legislation, which provided for a system of State Area Vocational-Technical Schools. The State Department of Education in 1964 contracted with the Davidson County Board of Education to operate the State Area Vocational-Technical School at Hume-Fogg Vocational-Technical School. This operation continued until 1968.
In January 1968, the administration of the Nashville State Area Vocational-Technical School was transferred from the Davidson County Board of Education to the State Department of Vocational-Technical Education. A new facility was built on an eighty-five acre tract at 100 White Bridge Road. The transition of classes to the Nashville State Area Vocational-Technical School from Hume-Fogg Vocational-Technical School was accomplished in approximately four months.
By April 1968, one hundred students in Office Occupations, Drafting, Machine Shop, Radio and Television, and Cosmetology were established in the new facility. The first group of students graduated in the fall of 1968.
In August of 1980, a new building was constructed to meet the growing needs of the institution. On June 29, 1982, the campus was dedicated to Matt Lynch, a state labor leader and former member of the school’s General Advisory Committee. In 1983, the General Assembly passed legislation, which transferred the governance of the State Area Schools from the State Board of Vocational Education to the Tennessee Board of Regents.
In 1988, the school secured the use of the TVA Training Facility located at 7204 Cockrill Bend in order to offer special industry training courses. Two years later, the school entered into a five-year lease agreement with Tennessee State University to establish the TVA facilities extension campus for the school. The school renovated the TVA training facility at Cockrill Bend in order to begin two new training programs in 1990: Truck Driving and Aviation Maintenance Technology.
In order to provide adequate facilities to accommodate the fast expansion of automotive training, a new building was constructed. The Auto Technology Building was completed in February 1992. In 1997 a campus wide remodel project was completed updating the existing building and adding two new building to the TCAT Nashville campus.
In 1994, the General Assembly passed legislation to change the name of the State Area Vocational-Technical Schools to “Tennessee Technology Centers” and then in 2013 the schools were renamed again to “Colleges of Applied Technology”. The latest name change better describes the level of career and occupational training available at TCAT’s.
TCAT Nashville is one of the twenty-seven Colleges of Applied Technology in the state providing low-cost occupational and workforce development training to Tennessee residents.